Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Defying Gravity

It feels like forever since I last posted, but life has been picking up and I'm trying to stay afloat. I started my part-time job on Monday night and it honestly wasn't as bad as I though it would be. I literally picked up trash, swept, and mopped. Not too complicated, right?

I was there from 9 p.m. until just after midnight, but once I got home I couldn't sleep. Ever since then, I've been having issues when it comes to getting some shut-eye. For some reason I'm just not tired. Maybe I just need some time to get adjusted. It also doesn't help that, just as I'm finally dozing off, my phone starts blowing up with text messages and phone calls. (Seriously, do you need to discuss finding a place to stay until your dorm opens at midnight??? You need to make those type of calls during business hours, sir. I'm trying to sleep.)

But I'm working tonight and tomorrow night as well, so hopefully I'll be good and tired so I can sleep well Friday night (which, coincidentally, is when Mr. I-need-somewhere-to-stay-for-so-I'm-going-to-text-you-a-million-times-while-you're-sleeping is getting back in town. Okay, I'm done ranting now.). I swear, if I'm not tired after that then I'm gonna have to break down and invest in some Ambien. Or some alcohol. Whichever.

The real reason I wanted to write today is because, all of a sudden, I've gotten tired of playing by other people's rules. Sometimes I just want things to happen on my terms, you know? I'm the type of person who constantly works to make other people happy and comfortable, and a lot of times that comes at the sacrifice of my comfort and happiness. Sometimes I want to be pursued, coddled, and taken care of. But I'm not too worried about it. It makes me happy to do things for others; sometimes I'd just like something in return. But it's better to give than to receive, and I know that God's gift of grace for selflessness is much better than any earthly gift.



Three Good Things:
  • I treated myself to dinner at Culver's yesterday.
  • I get paid weekly at my part-time job, so I'll consistently have extra money coming in pretty soon.
  • I'm going home to spend some time with my family (and do laundry) on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment