Sunday, January 4, 2009

Desperate...College Student?

I recently picked up the first season of Desperate Housewives at the local video store to fill some of my winter break boredom. The show is filled with twists, turns, and most importantly...secrets. After watching the seemingly perfect lives of the ladies of Wisteria Lane and the secrets they struggle to keep hidden, I started to think about the indiscretions that I try to hide. Everyone has their secrets, the little bits and pieces of themselves they keep inside away from the prying eyes of others.

I've kept many a secret about myself, simply because I don't want anyone getting too close to me--when you let someone in your heart, you give them the power to break it. I'm both proud and resentful of this aspect of my personality--proud because I keep control of who I let into my heart, resentful because I feel like I've missed out on a lot of great experiences because of it. I don't regret my decision in the least, but sometimes I do wonder what kind of person I would have become if I'd chosen a different path.

At this point in my life, I feel like all the pieces of myself don't quite fit together. Not necessarily broken, just waiting for all the pieces to slide together in a perfect fit. I'm looking forward to the day when everything fits together in the way I'd like it to. Then, I'll finally be able to leave my secrets behind...

No comments:

Post a Comment