Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Release

I've written a little bit of poetry but have always been hesitant to share it with people. I mean, what if it sucks and I humiliate myself? Not only that, but my poems tend to be very personal--I'm not sure I want everyone being all up in my bidnass. But nevertheless, I got the urge to share a poem with y'all tonight. I've had some pent-up frustration, and I think writing is a great way to release it all. I'm planning on writing more in the near future to keep myself sane; maybe I'll share again sometime. Let me know what you think.

The One I Gave My Heart To


How could the one I gave my heart to,

ask me for it back?

After he decided it was too good to keep close

That hurt the most

Not eating for days

Not sleeping for weeks

Looking at the phone

Waiting

For him to come back to me

Saying it was all a joke

And he knew his place

And he was ready for our hearts to

Return to the same space.

But that day didn’t come

In a month, even two.

No, he waited two years

To make up his mind on what to do.

But by then, I’d moved on

Tried love and failed it

Wanting to make men love me

I’d do anything it took

Because the idea of them leaving me

Just had me shook

Because if I’m “too good”

I’ve got to be better

Got to change

Rearrange

Create a new plan for the game

To make myself forget about him

And his ways

How his smile and his style highlighted all of my days

And how he promised me one day

That our last names would be the same

but somehow he worked his way

back into the frame

promising a new him

for the

new me

and talking on and on about how he was

so, so, so sorry

and for a while,

I went along for the ride

But something was always nagging me

Inside

The only one I gave my heart to

Asked me for it back

But inside I knew that

I just couldn’t do that.

Sometimes a woman

Has to refuse to go back

And not because she’s scared

But because she’s worth more than that.

And he knows who he is

And that he’ll always have his place

And that at one point our hearts occupied the same space

But now I’ve moved on

And I hope he has too

And to the one I once gave my heart,

I now give this poem to.


No comments:

Post a Comment