Monday, August 9, 2010

First impressions...

Well, the plan is underway. This weekend I'm flying to Madison to look at apartments, and I can't wait! In the process of moving, I'm also helping to find a replacement for me at my full-time job. Since I'm the first person people see when they come in, naturally I'm going to see the applicants first.

OH MY GOSH. These people are a hot mess. I try not to judge people, but first impressions are VERY important--especially when you're trying to get a job. Don't just come in to someone's business wearing whatever and ask for an application. I'm not saying you have to be in a full suit with pumps and pearls, but at least don't look sloppy.

Also, try not to reek of smoke. I understand that people smoke--it's their choice. But I don't want to have to hold my breath and febreeze the office after you leave. It just doesn't look good. We also don't want to hire someone who will be outside every hour taking a smoke break.

Finally, act like you know what you're talking about. If you say something like, "Uh, I heard that...y'all were, uh, looking for a job?" I'm going to look at you like you don't know what you're talking about BECAUSE YOU LOOK LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. Be polite, smile, and act like you at least read the ad and aren't just applying for every job listed. If the ad said we were looking for a friendly, professional person, ACT THAT WAY.

Even if you're just filling out the application, that's a big part of the hiring process. Always put your best foot forward, as first impressions stick with you...and sometimes keep you from getting an interview.

Three Good Things:
  • Packing is coming along a bit better.
  • My friend Mario will be back in town soon.
  • Flying to Madison this weekend! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment