Friday, July 17, 2009

"Once again I ask too much of you..."

I'm fresh from a 7:30 p.m. showing of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and let me tell you, that movie was AMAZING. It didn't follow the plot of the book exactly, but the acting was great and the cinematography was absolutely breathtaking. I'm probably going to see it again next week. That may sound like a lot, but it was spectacular.

So that was the fun stuff--yay. Now it's time for me to talk about some things that have been on my mind lately. One of the quotations from HBP actually inspired the post. During one of the pivotal scenes in the movie, Dumbledore says to Harry, "Once again I ask too much of you, Harry." Dumbledore did ask for Harry's complete trust, but did he ask too much of him? He did, after all, only have the best interest of the wizarding world (and Harry himself) at heart.

Which made me ask myself, do I ask too much of you? I'm thinking of one person in particular, and I don't believe the things I'm asking for are too much. I'm a pretty low-maintenance person, generally speaking. I like good food, good books, and good friends. I'm not the type of person who has to go out every night to see and be seen or have the latest outfit or gadget to be happy--I'm content with who I am and what I have. What I do ask for, though, is honesty...committment...affection...attention.

You don't have to be in my face all the time or call me every single minute, but I do want to know that you care enough to contact me every once in a while. It doesn't even have to be a long phone call--a simple text will do. I'm a firm believer that that simple things are the best things, and that the key to a healthy relationship (romantic or otherwise) is communication. My communication skills are what I'm most proud of about myself, and I only expect from others what I expect from myself.

Do I think I'm asking for too much? No, I honestly don't. But I do feel that honesty, committment, affection, and attention are things that I deserve. No longer will I settle for anything less.

No comments:

Post a Comment